Friday, January 6, 2012

The uses of Baking Soda

I use baking soda a lot. And by a lot I mean, I go through one of the giant 4 pound boxes ever week or two. In my search for a greener, cleaner house, it has been my go-to product.

First off, here's a little bit of information about baking soda and what it is. Baking soda is another name for Sodium Bicarbonate. Yes, the sodium bicarbonate that is prescribed as an antacid. The molecular formula is Na HCO3. ....Just in case you needed to know. :) It is produced partly by a chemical reaction between brine and ammonia which I found quite interesting. It's been around for centuries though, but has been known by quite a few different names.


Here's a list of what all I've used it for, and then I will probably go into greater detail for the more interesting uses in another post:
1. Laundry detergent.
2. Household cleaner, in place of things like Soft Scrub for the shower, toilets, and stovetop.
3. Deodorizer for diaper pails and carpet, among other things.
4. Dishwasher detergent.
5. In place of shampoo.
6. It's a main ingredient in a few things like toothpaste and deodorant.
7. To help with itchy bug bites.
8. Mouthwash.
9. Body scrub.
10. Face wash.

I can't think of anything else I use it for at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment