Friday, January 6, 2012

You don't use shampoo?! Ew!

No, not Ew! I admit it....I haven't used shampoo in about...I don't know...maybe 5 or 6 months? If you're thinking "Oh Gross", then let me tell you a bit about going "no poo". I started going no poo almost as soon as I heard of it. Everyone knows that shampoos and conditioners are chock full of chemicals and things that are just generally bad for your body. So if you had the option to get your hair clean without dousing your body in chemicals and stripping all the healthy natural oils out of your hair, why not? The point of using baking soda and apple cider vinegar in your hair is to bring your hair back to its natural state, the point where your body produces just the right amount of oils in your hair to keep it beautiful, manageable, and not greasy.

Here is your basic how-to:
Shampoo: Mix baking soda with water. I have a little squirt bottle that I got from a grocery store that's usually used for condiments. I use basically 2 tablespoons of baking soda to every cup of water. Everyone who does it probably uses different ratios according to what they like though, so it's no exact science which is nice. When you're going to wash your hair, just shake up the bottle to mix it up, then squirt right onto your scalp. Then just scrub it in with your fingertips just like you would shampoo. There is no soft lathering, no bubbles....it feels like you're rubbing dirt on your head. But it gets the job done and your hair is clean.
Conditioner: For your conditioner, you're going to mix one part apple cider vinegar to 2 parts water. After you rinse the baking soda out of your hair, pour the vinegar mix over your hair....preferably not directly on the scalp though. Then rinse your hair again and you're done. As weird as it may sound to be putting stinky ol' vinegar on your head, it works better than any conditioner I've used.

So there it is. After a couple weeks of using this, you will go through the "transition stage". Your hair might get a bit funky, either too oily or too dry. But it's easily managed. If you hair is too oily, don't use the vinegar rinse....either not at all, or less often, or even very diluted, all depending on what works for you. If your hair/scalp is too dry, then dilute your baking soda mixture more or try using it every other day or so until your scalp decides to even itself out. My transition stage wasn't even noticeable.

And here is my personal review: Since I've been no poo, my hair is so soft and manageable. I don't even need any more frizz control! It's wonderful! And my husband has been using it as long as I have and he no longer has the crazy dry, flaky scalp that he's had his entire life. Neither of us will ever go back to commercial shampoos. I use it on the girls too, of course. Alix's hair is amazing....her curls are so beautiful, and her hair has so much shine! Also, I've noticed since using it on Erin, no more cradle cap. :) The girls only get the no poo treatment once a week or so, and I use it every 3-4 days now without a problem.

So there you go. Feel free to ask any questions if you have any. :) Also, I have to say really quickly that the baking soda/vinegar is so much cheaper than shampoos/conditioners!

No comments:

Post a Comment